So it’s that time of the year again! Summer is over and it’s the beginning of the next school or college year. You’ll have new teachers, possibly new subjects and definitely new expectations. Whether you feel apprehensive, excited, nervous or happy, we have created a great little seated exercise to get you ready.
Find yourself a quiet spot where you won’t be disturbed. Sit on the floor, we chose to sit cross legged but sit however you feel comfortable. Try to keep your back straight and your chest open as this will help you to breathe deeply and calmly.
1. Place one hand on your chest and one hand on your tummy. Close your eyes and relax your face, especially your mouth and around your eyes. Now spend a few moments just letting go of thoughts of the day. Focus on the position of the body on the floor, the feel of the floor beneath you, the position of the legs, arms and head. Then just breathe….and relax.
2. Now feel the movement of the hands as you breath. Don’t change anything – just feel. Keep breathing but try to make your breath slightly deeper and calmer.
3. As you exhale imagine you are exhaling all your negative thoughts about the upcoming school or college year. Exhale negative emotion. Exhale stress, worry and tension. Make your exhalation slightly longer and keep exhaling negativity. If it’s friends, teachers or work that make you nervous, then visually imagine these things and imagine letting them go as you breath out. Let them float away. Spend at least a few minutes on this part of the exercise.
4. As you inhale, inhale positive thoughts about the upcoming school or college year. You will be growing, learning, meeting new people and able to cope with new demands. Inhale confidence, strength, growth, beauty and friendship. Spend a few moments here. If you can’t find anything positive – stop – speak to your family and friends and let them help you think about positives things in your life.
5. Now let your breath return to normal. Allow yourself to enjoy this peaceful, calm, positive mental state that you have found. Now say to yourself:
‘I am calm about the start of the new term’. Repeat three times as you exhale.
‘I am confident about the start of the new term’. Repeat three times as you exhale.
Finally say ‘I am going to learn and grow in the next academic year’. Repeat three times.
6. Be still. Breathe and place your hands onto your knees and slowly open your eyes.
Repeat this exercise as much as you want. Now go and be a great student and enjoy!